Pages

January 23, 2019

Conquering The Comfort Food

After believing that I would never get my cooking mojo back for almost 2 years, I suddenly had these 'Cravings to Cook' yesterday.

Now if you know me, I am not the one who wants to cook every single day with the same 100% involvement. One Reason: I can not cater to large spectrum of food-type requirements by the entire family, every day. 'Wish to Cook' for me, should come from within- or else it is an every day chore.

The family I am coming from is full of foodies, but is a stickler for discipline- whatever is cooked, is generally consumed without being fussy or passing on a comment on how delicious it does not taste. (Because, hey- Diabetes and BP in the family do not generally want you to have delicious food! Haha!) Now, in 2014 I got married to a man who is a foodie and also a taste-fussy guy (now, a little less thanks- to yours truly) Pleasing his taste buds is not an easy thing. (Who cares every day about it though!) The same trait is shared by my dad-in-law, however I am mostly forgiven from his fussiness. My Mom-in-law (who herself follows certain food restrictions) somehow strives with a unique mixture of attitudes- I-don't-care-attitude and I-am-stressed-what-would-they-like-attitude.

So, when yesterday I decided to cook something of my choice (thanks to the 'Crave to Cook' Phenomenon) , as my Mother-in-law is out of town- I had two major challenges:

1. My Dad-in-law should like it. It was not too tough. He is generally not fussy when I cook and a little bit of spice and chilly would please him anyway.
2. My own Husband should like it too. Not that easy, if he already likes the dish made by some one else or from some where outside.

I zeroed down to Palakh Khichadi. Mr.ISB loves Khichadis made in restaurants only, hence it was a risk but I was up for making a mean Palak Khichadi anyway!

In the evening, I shopped for required vegetables and headed home while browsing recipes online in the cab. I was excited as I had my favorite gang of vegetables to my help: Garlic, Ginger and Onions!

After 1.5 hour of relishing cooking while listening to songs - Palak Khichadi was ready to serve to my dad-in-law who immediately had smelt that something 'nice' was being cooked from the lobby.
I waited patiently for his reaction when he tried first spoonful of Khichadi.  "Wah Wah", I was relieved.

Next challenge was Mr.ISB , while serving my husband I secretly prayed the super power. He, himself looked nervous as homemade Palakh Khichadi was a disaster years ago.

He served himself some Khichadi, smelt it and tried it.

"Wow!! Seriously Nice!"

Challenge-2 conquered.

I went numb afterwards. I was busy doing virtual victory dance, while my taste buds were relishing the dish...


No comments:

Post a Comment