Pages

July 23, 2019

Abby Notes # 1

Inspired by many mothers and my own mother who recorded mile stones and memorable moments of their babies I here by present Abby Notes!! I hope when he grows up and finds this some where in the cyber space, he knows about himself and people around him a bit more.

-Abby did really well on the day one of his life, by getting Apgar score of 9 out of 10 with decent weight of 2.6 Kg. I won't go by the numbers but after seeing his energy levels that day itself we knew that he is one hyper soul.

-Abby, from the first moment of his life hated getting swaddled, he took out hands when the nurse swaddled him for the first time and from that moment he has broken all the records of not keeping hands in, in one month. I suppose he is going to continue hating swaddling.

- Abby was fed by Mr.ISB ,with a spoon from the very first meal he had, for three days in a row. Seeing Mr.ISB taking care of the baby and the mother (Oh Yes!) with equal love and care became talk of the town in the hospital and the family. Oh yes, the head doctor a.k.a. Doctor uncle praised him like nobody's business! Let me go to the subject of feeding, the late lactation due to surgery, would otherwise have led to heavy weight loss for the baby. Many Pediatricians wait for lactation to start and let the baby adjust but our little hungry champion took external feed (Amul Taza) in, with such passion for food, keeping every one amused how hungry a baby can get on first three days of his life! In hindsight, external feed was really needed as even then his weight had slightly decreased after a week. Ah wait, the quantity of the external feed was increased as well in a week because Abby has got his appetite from his Mama?!

-When Abby was given to me for the first time, Mr.ISB had captured that moment. The photo itself made me realize how fragile the baby Abby was. I knew I would have to learn to manage him. Beside that, it made me realize how exhausted I looked!

-On getting discharged from the hospital Abby was carried home by my Papa and MIL  while my Mumma - his dear Dida (Maternal Grandmother, the proud Nani) performed a small Grih Pravesh Puja for him. Abby, from that moment onward , is in love with Dida. Getting him to sleep, cheering him up while gulping milk, potty cleaning, changing clothes, bathing, carefully selecting softest linen for him etc tasks were and are performed by only her. After coming from hospital, I took complete rest for a week till the day it hit me hard that I am zilch when it comes to taking care of my baby. Of course I knew my Mumma is far from spoon feeding me, but she had her own timelines on when to let me rest and when to start training me to do multi tasking. Oh yes, I am transitioning to the latter part and believe me, it is empowering- All thanks to Abby's Dida!

-Abby pouts when he is hungry. Kareena Kapoor's pout is not as good as his pout. Believe me! In fact, it lifts my mood when I see him pout in the sleep till I realized, ahhhh it is feeding time AGAIN!

-Abby has long fingers and tiny nails attached, are growing at God Speed. We have to make him wear Mittens from the first week to avoid his face getting scratched by his own hyper-self.

-Abby gives flying kisses when he is asleep but hungry and wants to get up. He does the same when he wants to gulp milk and enjoy it. It is amusing to see him smooching everything around (when done with flying kisses!) when he is hungry. Abby showcased this habit on the very first day of his arrival, leaving every one trying to figure out how can a couple of hours old baby can smooch with such passion! Hahahahaha! Did I mention he loves smooching my Mumma's gown and my Papa's nose! Hahaha.

-Abby loves burping. Well, may be he loves being carried on the shoulder of the person who is making him burp and thoroughly enjoys patting on his back. No other way of burping seems more effective than this style. After Mr.ISB and my Dad, every one finally has got a hang of this style of burping. Hopefully back in Mumbai, my MIL and FIL will soon be pro at this.

- Switching to the next logical step after feeding. In one month, Abby has soiled Nana's clothes 2-3 times, Mumma's clothes 4-5 times, Papa's clothes twice, Dida's clothes many many many times! When after a month my FIL, his Dada came to visit Abby, he did leave some love on his T-shirt too!!

-Abby, in the initial days was given top feed with a spoon and a bowl. Gradually his timid nature about which I was very happy turned into a hyper active nature to my dismay. We used to form a team of three where one will take Abby in the lap, one will hold his hands and one will feed. Slowly we realized, we would need fourth person to hold his legs in place when finally doctor approved of bottle feeding as spoon-feeding (figuratively and literally) wasted a lot of energy and formula. Ah, the joy I and Abby both had when he gulped down the bottle happily with a smile. (Later on I came to know, babies smile when they pass gas! Okay!)

- My brother and Abby's Mama keeps on coming home from his very hectic start-up schedule to play with him. Once, he approached little Abby four times and he was asleep. My brother was really upset about it. ROFL. It is amusing to see then the youngest person of the family- My brother now handles Abby with so much passion, plays with him and ah, rocks him to sleep too! He is yet to over come the fear of Abby doing potty on his hand. Oops!

-About gifts, as per the tradition Abby has got some really cool outfits gifted by my MIL, FIL and SIL. A couple of smart outfits from Masis as well, we have received. I am looking forward to dress him up once he is a bit older. Talking about daily wears, Desi Langots are so sad that we kept on ordering cute organic cotton swaddle clothes with fun prints to cover him! Can not wait for the day when he would be totally replacing Langots with Diapers!

-Abby had his first in-campus outing on the first month birthday with both of us. Before we left, we made this little creature wear three different non-langot outfits (One with 'Feed Me' caption gifted by a friend- what an apt choice!) and believed, he enjoyed the photo-shoot by my Dad (who has a middle name of 'Photographically challenged person' otherwise) after I had set the frame and focus. They have come out well, however it is depressing to see my messy hair crowning my bloated face! Hahahaha. Talking about the outing- the temple we visited across the colony has multiple Gods is very homely and warm, however Abby's agnostic parents (Ouch!) were more excited to carry him around the colony!

-Abby, after initial weight loss geared up pretty well. Formula and Breast feeding, as the way of Pet Puja suited him more. Our Pediatrician team was amused to see the way he really performed after the menu was set for him! So much for Pet Pooja!

-Abby is also preparing for the upcoming Rakshabandhan. He is going to get two Rakhis for sure and I am more excited than him, because I get to select gifts for two tiny girls. Hahahahaha. Don't even get me started about stuff we get for baby girls!

-Abby has this very warm connection with Mr.ISB. Ah, I know Mr.ISB is his Papa but the chemistry is so good that I am sure the connection is very different from any Father-Son relationship I have seen. While I sing Lullaby type songs to Abby, Mr.ISB actually marches taking Abby on his shoulder, the only multitasking he is good at is this. Burping and Putting him to sleep while marching! :)

-Abby has started liking different rhythms. Certain songs he loves or we feel he does. A couple of classical songs when are sung by my Dad, he carefully listens. My brother has got a patient listener as well to his various singing sessions. I believe he loves a few songs when I sing as lullabies- however I am not sure if his hearing abilities have developed to that extent. He loves all the songs I learnt in my school and a few from Bollywood as well, specially 'Sooha Saha' from 'Highway'.

I intent to write on regular basis on this series, Abby Notes. Till I write the next part, Stay Tuned!




-

No comments:

Post a Comment