Pages

April 9, 2019

H for Habit

Habits are my favorite tools to bring discipline in my life (And ah, others' too!)

I have been reading a lot about how to form a habit, the principles of 21 days etc however, I wont say any trick was ever 100% successful. (and I got bored to explore more!)  I do believe that 'The Power of Habit' has the best method to form a habit. But, this post is not on forming habits.

This is about that one process you follow in the office as a part of your work to do analysis and you get so so habitual of the process that any other process fails to get through your mind. Your mind refuses to pluck data points and process. (Ah, nerdy I know!)

Let me explain, what exactly I tried writing in the above statement.

I analyse data related to my field. A lot of data. Hence, Excel is one of the skill set which I happened to master or so I believe, in last some years of my professional life. (Oh, Do not start Data Science debate. Our startup is yet to get into the field and the scale of data we should have for it)

In Excel, there are certain features I just happen to use like brushing my teeth. In a very subconscious way... Sanitize data, put filters, see patterns, insert pivot tables, try to decipher patterns and counts using suitable formats. Bamm, I got what you wanted. My mind registers the data points and now, I can decide the area of action.

This procedure is the most basic one and now after so many years of using this on daily basis- my mind now refuses to register anything, in any other format.

... And this realization happened today.

While making a to-do list on a piece of paper for the upcoming function at home we are hosting, I realized my mind is going numb. I opened the excel. Started typing down. I inserted a pivot table which gave me a picture on who has to do what and by which date. My mind digested everything and I was at peace.

Here is the screen shot of what I did. (Albeit, to protect our prestige I have hide some parts of it.)


I know, for a normal person it looks ugly and weird. However, this is the habit I have picked up to organize my life.

Subconsciously!

I am not complaining!


No comments:

Post a Comment