Pages

April 22, 2019

O for Oven Story

My 'tasty' story with Oven (And not microwave) started in my childhood, because my food lover Dad had already bought it just a year after my birth.

I remember, how on every birthday my mom and dad would make a not-so-fancy but tastiest cakes for me and my brother. Now, Ahmedabad back in 1990s was not exactly a paradise for egg-less cakes and this pre-term baby of theirs could not digest every type of food till she was ten, now when I think of how we were given home baked goodies, well before it got fancier than buying store sold stuff- I know, I was one of the very few fortunate kids in India.

After my marriage, I was gifted an oven and I was also under an influence of a few bloggers who would bake breads, veggies, cakes and what not. Needless to say, those nine months were the tastiest for our taste buds.

However, oven for me was never a symbol of only amazing food but also a lot more.

An oven is a representation of cook your own food philosophy. I do not like cooking when I have to do it as a chore. I do not like it when I am pushed to use x or y material only, for days together. However, just like my dad I have, let-me-cook-my-food genes for sure. Hence, an oven is an amazing tool for me to be self sufficient in health and taste department.

An oven is a symbol of creativity for me. I used to love browsing through all the recipe books we had at home in my childhood. My dad's insane experiments in baking Baati of Daal Baati, grilling Khakhra Pizza, Baking real pizzas at home when Ahmedabad did not know the taste of traditional pizzas, baking cakes with Games on the cake etc were my favorite relationship building tool. (He had once also tried to dry a wet napkin in oven on pre-heat mode!!) My mom, silently made traditional recipes but together, they made using Oven real creative for me, as a kid!

An oven , for me is a sign of Gender Neutrality. My Dad would always and always take the initiative in using it, trying to cook healthier recipes. And, I can not give less credit to my husband who learnt to grill the veggies- looking at which I always drool. Oven, makes a relationship more and more lovable for me.

I, since last couple years could not use oven much. I used it seldom even just as a responsibility. I really wish now when I have taken a break from the job, I would be pushing my little 'Oven Story' further.

Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment